Information Collection and How it is used
- NYC.com collects personal information when you register with us to use our services or to post content on NYC.com.
- When you register we ask for your email address and certain optional information such as your name, birth date, birth place, gender, biographical information, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN user name, and personal interests.
- For certain products we offer, such as enhanced email accounts, we will ask for your billing address, phone number, and credit card information.
- NYC.com automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie, and the page you request.
- NYC.com uses information for the following general purposes: products and services provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, contact, research, and anonymous reporting.
IP Addresses are automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is stored in our user registration databases when you register with NYC.com.
IP addresses may be used for various purposes, including:
- To diagnose or service technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- To tailor advertising based on geographic area or other information derived from your IP address. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers.
- To estimate the total number of users visiting NYC.com from specific geographical regions.
- To make sure that people are not voting for themselves or friends during contests or promotions.
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, that is sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set.
- If you reject all cookies, you will not be able to use NYC.com products or services that require you to "sign in," and you may not be able to take full advantage of the NYC.com service.
- NYC.com uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:
- Access your information when you "sign in".
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using our services.
- Display the most appropriate advertising banners, based on your interests and activity on NYC.com.
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic.
- Conduct research to improve NYC.com content and services.
- NYC.com lets other companies (such as Google) that show advertisements on some of our pages set and access their cookies on your computer. Other entities' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- When you post a message, your NYC.com ID or alias that you are posting under is visible to other users.
- NYC.com does not rent or sell your personal information. However, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
- Generally, NYC.com does not share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies without your consent except to provide products or services you've requested and in the following circumstances:
- NYC.com may be required to disclose personally identifiable information under special circumstances, such as to comply with subpoenas, warrants, court orders or legal process or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- NYC.com displays targeted advertisements based on information that is exhibited in people's profiles.
Editing and Deleting Account Information. Security.
- You can change your NYC.com Account Information, at any time.
- We may send you certain communications relating to the NYC.com service, such as service announcements and administrative messages, that are considered part of your NYC.com account.
- You can delete your NYC.com account at any time from your account page; however, please note that your identification, billing and contact information may remain in NYC.com's records for some period.
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- Your NYC.com Account Information is password-protected.
- In certain areas, NYC.com uses SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions.
Retaining, Modifying and Deleting Your Personal Data
You may request access to the information you have provided to us. If you wish to make a request, please contact us using the details in the Contact Us section below. If you would like to update, correct, modify or delete from our database any Personal Data you previously submitted to us, please let us know by logging in and updating your profile. If you delete certain information you may not be able to order services in the future without re-submitting such information. We will comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Also, please note that we will maintain Personal Data in our database whenever we are required to do so by law, for necessary operational reasons, or to maintain uniform business practices.
Please note that we need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (for example, when you enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Data provided until after the completion of such promotion). We will retain your Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
EU Data Subject Rights
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have the right to: (a) request access to your Personal Data and rectification of inaccurate Personal Data; (b) request erasure of your Personal Data; (c) request restrictions on the processing of your Personal Data; (d) object to processing your Personal Data; and/or (e) the right to data portability (collectively, “EU Requests”).
We can only process EU Requests from a user whose identity has been verified. To verify your identity, please provide your email address or [URL] when you make an EU Request. For more information about how to get access to Personal Data and for exercising your rights, you can submit a request by email to [email protected] and inform us that you are an EU resident and would like to exercise your individual rights. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. To view additional information about behavioral advertising and manage your preferences, you can do so by visiting: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
NYC.com may update this policy at any time for any reason. If there are any significant changes to how we handle personal information we will send a notice to the primary email address specified in your NYC.com account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
If you have questions or suggestions please use you the help form or you can contact us at:
515 Greenwich St, Fifth Floor Suite 502
New York, NY 10013